Layer 2 data networks offer valuable technical and business advantages; such as simplicity, scalability and efficiency. When secure encrypted data transmission is required, these benefits are increased.
The demand for Layer 2 networks (ethernet, fibre channel etc.) is growing as high-speed / high-volume data transmission increases and performance-intensive technologies such as Cloud Computing and Data Centre services grow.
Layer 2 networks provide the performance necessary for intensive computing tasks with lower latency and greater flexibility than Layer 3 networks. The business case for Layer 2 is strengthened further by transmission efficiency, bandwidth costs and economies of scale.
However, it is when sensitive data is encrypted that the real benefits become apparent. When encrypted, Layer 2 networks maintain their performance, whereas Layer 3 networks lose 50% to 70% of their bandwidth and speed performance.
The business case for encrypting at Layer 2
Protecting high-speed data transmission without compromising network performance
Layer 2 data networks provide very high bandwidth and data transmission speed capabilities that Layer 3 networks just cannot match. This is why major organisations and government agencies prefer Layer 2 networks for their mission-critical high data-volume wide area network (WAN) operations.
Simply put, Layer 2 networks deliver reduced complexity; significantly lower data latency; reduced management overheads; improved scalability and eliminates data traffic priority difficulties. When organisations implement mission critical technologies to optimise business efficiency, Layer 2 network characteristics enhance the performance of those technologies. Whatever the key technologies deployed:
- Cloud computing – software and infrastructure-as-a-service
- Data centres – remote storage, back-up and disaster recovery
- Big Data – processing and sharing information-rich data
- CCTV and multi-media applications – video, voice and data streaming
- Microwave network integration – overcoming physical environment limitations
Making the most of Layer 2 – security by design
Senetas encryptors take full advantage of Layer 2 network efficiencies and enable defence-grade, certified data encryption without compromising network performance
- Speed and performance – low latency and larger packet capabilities
- Scalability – simple growth and expansion as network needs increase
- Ease of use – the simplicity of network changes also avoiding risks of errors
- Lower capital investment due to interoperability
- Better data cost economies of scale – no wastage
- Lower management requirements and costs – set and forget simplicity